Carried over with only modest trim changes, Sevilles got
a retuned suspension to improve their ride, plus new body mounts.
- Nameplates moved from the upper right of the grille to the upper left, and that
grille had a tighter pattern than before.
- The grille's pattern of vertical crosshatch slots was repeated in twin insets in
the front bumper.
- Standard engine remained the 350 cu. in. (5.7-liter) V-8 with electronic fuel
injection, now rated 170 horsepower.
- The diesel version introduced at mid-year was offered again.
- Sevilles destined for California received the three-way catalytic converter with
closed-loop electronic controls, previously used only on other GM models.
- Bodies could have 14 standard colors, with seven Firemist colors available.
- Interiors came with new solid and striped Dante and Roma knit fabrics in six
colors, or 11 shades of Sierra Grain leather.
- Either the Tuxedo Grain padded vinyl roof (in 17 colors, including metallics) or
a plain metal top were offered at the same price.
- Options included the new digital trip computer and signal-seeking radios.
- Cadillac's catalog claimed that Seville had been chosen "one of the ten most
beautifully designed production cars of the last 50 years."
- The special edition Elegante came in two-tone Slate Firemist and Sable Black,
with accent striping and full-length side moldings with etched black grooving, plus
a painted metal roof.
- Elegante was identified by a Cadillac wreath and crest as well as script
- Standard were chrome-plated wire wheels with long-laced spokes.
- Seating areas and door panels had perforated leather inserts with suede-like
vinyl trim, with leather-trimmed steering wheel.
- The Dual Comfort 40/40 seats had storage pockets and an integral fold-down center
- New for 1979 was plush fur-like Tangier carpeting.
- Elegante's price tag was $2735.
|Model No.||Style Number||Body Type||Seating||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
|Feature||Base engine||Diesel engine|
|Type||90-degree, overhead valve V-8. Cast iron block and head.|
|Displacement||350 cu. in. (5.7 liters)|
|Bore & stroke||4.057 x 3.385 in.|
|Brake horsepower||170 @ 4200 rpm||125 @ 3600 rpm|
|Torque||270 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm||225 lbs.-ft. @ 1600 rpm|
|Fuel supply||Electronic fuel injection|
|Overall length||204.0 in.|
|Front Tread||61.3 in.|
|Rear Tread||59.0 in.|
|Standard Tires||GR78 x 15-B SBR wide WSW|
|Transmission||Three-speed Turbo Hydra-matic transmission column shift.|
|Gear ratios||(1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Rev) 2.07;1.|
|Standard axle ratio||2.24:1|
|Front suspension||independent with ball joints and coil springs, stabilizer bar.|
|Rear suspension||Hotchkiss 56 in. leaf springs, five leaves, link stabilizer|
|Electronic level control||Standard|
|Ignition||HEI electronic ignition|
|Fuel tank||19.6 gal.|