The PXI industry is proud to support thousands of applications. These applications are active with the military, consumer electronics, industrial automation, and others.
One of the reasons the PXI industry is supporting so many cross-sectional industries is its communication backplane.
The PXI Express technology is the latest and greatest improvement to the PXI platform.
The PXI Express integrates signaling and increases backplane bandwidth. It provides these improvements to PXI’s standard platform applications. Estimates report this increase to be a 45 times improvement.
That’s not all it improves within the PXI industry. The PXI Express gives PXI timing and synchronization of features a 100 MHZ differential clock and trigger lines.
The PXI Express does all these improved functionality applications while still maintaining backward compatibility.
The PXI Chassis accepts various differentials of the PXI Express. If you need to meet the cooling standards for PXI modules the PXI chassis selections are the way to go.
The PXI Chassis can provide 18 slots which combine PXI and PXI Express modules. It doesn’t even matter if you need AC or DC for power as they work with both power options.
The PXI Chassis can also have;
- An embedded or remote PXI Express controller.
- PXI modules which allow PXI peripheral slots.
- PXI Express with hybrid peripheral slots using their modules with a 32-bit Compact or hybrid PXI.
- A timing slot for the system using the PXI Express peripheral and PXI Express timing modules.
NI PXI Chassis
NI PXI Chassis combines the benefits of PXI Chassis with the power of NI for measurement and automation.
NI PXI Chassis are very reliable and provide you with a mechanical package for high performing backplanes.
If you are looking for a mobile, desktop, embedded or rack-mount system the NI PXI Chassis is what you need.
NI PXI Chassis have integrated signals and are compatible with PXI Express and Compact PCI Express modules.
It also helps any system cooling needed as well as their acoustical performances. In essence, it provides a better and stronger power supply.
There are a variety of NI PXI products to choose from when you need a PXI system.
The NI has one do it all system and it is the PXI. The NI PXI handles digital and analog IO. It processes tons of data with the latest and greatest CPU’s.
The NI PXI can also process tons of data with the biggest Xilinx FPGA’s available. If you need to add the use of the MXI-Express to a PXI chassis or Ethernet, you can do it.
The NI PXI has a variety of uses and products. They are;
- PXI Chassis – this is the housing component for the PXI module and controllers. It provides a connection to high-performance backplanes with timing and synchronization.
- PXI Module – this is your interface to bus standards. It receives data, images and can trigger and synchronize any device. It provides motion control and measurements.
- PXI Software – is interactive and customized with engineering designs. Interoperable to any software product needed.
- PXI Controller – runs you PXI system even without an external PC. You can control the PXI system from servers, laptops or desktops.
PXI systems provide a virtual premium selection for framework functionality. PXI systems have interactive debugging to module-specific shielding.
PXI systems have forced air which cools their system. It is able to perform your hardware configuration needs.
Its usage of synchronization for calibration, PXI trigger bus, Star trigger buses, reference clocks, and industry standard PC buses is superb.
Plus, it is able to test electromagnetic and environmental systems. It cools the system and it gives high-performance through its connectors.
PXI systems is actually an abbreviation which stands for PCI eXtensions for Instrumentation.
The PXI system is one of the most used standards for personal computers there is. It almost always uses the industrial CompactPCI (cPCI) for a connector.
To operate a PXI system you need the following;
- A PXI chassis
- A PXI controller
- A PXI remote controllers
- A PXI embedded controllers
PXI modules consist of a family of five PXI downconverters. Each of them provides targeted and specific application needs.
They consist of;
- The PXI local oscillator (PXI-1450B).
- The PXI preselector/attenuator (PXI-1410).
- The PXI RF downconverter.
- The PXI IF down converter.
- The PXI MW downconverter.
Each of them performs specific applications which provide everything from spectral analysis to signal intelligence.
PXI Express provides a maximum of 6 GB/s for controller-to-backplane bandwidth. This is the highest bandwidth you can provide for testing and measurements.
You can also use PXI express in;
- Backplane speed advantages.
- If you need processor capability for direct impact of command executions times.
There are things to consider if you are going to buy a PXI Express system.
- There are not as many suppliers for PXI Express.
- PXI is a bit more expensive which is usually due to the hybrid slots.
- Since the hybrid slots can be fitted the additional expense is worth the effort and money.
The Way Forward with PXI Systems
Many people do not know that PXI and PXI Express are top-tiered systems. They offer you the management software extensions you need.
PXI and PXI Express keep software compatibility with Compact PCI and most any other PCI-based device.
Their system can give geographical addressing and monitoring of fan speed, temperature and many other chassis monitoring needed.
Why would anyone want to use any other system which cannot provide what PXI gives you?
For more about electrical systems, especially those that are inside of your car, make sure you check out the rest of our posts today!