This year marked the first time since 1988 (when the underachieving V-6-powered Cimarron was discontinued) that Cadillac offered something other than a V-8 engine.
- The all-new Catera used a 200-horsepower dual overhead cam V-6.
- The DeVille ranks were bolstered with the addition of the d'Elegance sedan joining the existing DeVille and DeVille Concours sedans.
- All DeVille and Catera models now featured side airbags as standard equipment and the exclusive-to-Cadillac OnStar communication system also debuted as an option on all front-drive models in 1997.
- All Cadillacs also received improved anti-lockout protection.
|The 1997 Cadillac had a 17-symbol vehicle identification number (VIN) stamped on a metal tag attached to the upper left surface of the cowl visible through the windshield. The code was as follows:
||1 or 4
||manufacturing country (United States)
|4 & 5
||car line series
- V/R = Catera
- E/L = Eldorado
- E/T = Eldorado Touring
- K/D = DeVille
- K/E = d'Elegance
- K/F = Concours
- K/S = Seville (SLS)
- K/Y = Seville (STS)
||the body style:
- 1 = two-door coupe
- 2 = two-door
- 3 = two-door convertible
- 4 = two-door station wagon
- 5 = four-door sedan
- 6 = four-door
- 8 = four-door station wagon
||the restraint code
- 2 = active (manual) belts w/dual frontal airbags
- 4 = active (manual) belts w/dual frontal and side airbags
- Y = LD8 4.6L V-8
- 9 = L37 4.6L V-8
- R = L81 3.0L V-6
||V = 1997
||the assembly plant
||the production sequence number
1997 Cadillac Notes
- Cadillac's model year production totaled 159,820 compared with 174,406 the year previous (this figure does not include the 25,411 imported Cateras).
- Based on sales of 182,624 automobiles in 1997 (vs, 170,379 the year before), Cadillac's share of the U.S. market was 2.2 percent compared with 2.0 the year previous.
- In May 1997, Cadillac announced the Catera would be produced domestically at its next redesign.
1997 Automotive Notes
- John F. Smith, Jr. was president of GM
- John F. Smith, Jr. was chairman of the board at GM
- Top model year production for 1997