CADILLAC - MODEL "THIRTY"
Click to supersize
1909 Cadillac Model Thirty
After an inauspicious trial in the luxury car field,
and recognizing the disappearing market for the single cylinder cars which made
their reputation, Cadillac settled down with a design which had originated in
1906 (the 1907-1908 Model G). With in-house mass production of a single line,
Cadillac was able to offer a high quality automobile at a moderate price: $1400
for the Model "Thirty" as compared to $2000 for the Model G.
Cadillac offered three models: 2-door Touring 5-passenger; 2-door Demi-Tonneau
4-passenger; and Roadster 3-passenger. The "Thirty" differed from the Model G as
- No closed bodies were offered.
- A detachable tonneau was once again available.
- It also had steel doors and cowl on the roadster and Demi-tonneau.
- Flared, twisted front fenders replaced the bulky flat fenders with filler
between the fender and frame.
- Full running boards and running board dust shields were available on all
- There were no louvers in the hood.
- The bodies were finished (painted) by Cadillac
- 3/4 platform rear spring system.
- Single dropped frame.
- Wheelbase lengthened to 2692mm
- In mid-year, brake drum diameter was increased to 304.8mm
- Transmission refined and mounted at three points to frame cross members
rather than at the four points to frame side rails.
- Universal joint was housed in the ball joint at rear of the
- Rear axle with bevel gear differential made by American Ball Bearing
- Drive for water pump (gear type) and oiler changed from external belt to
- Gear driven accessory shaft allows for optional magneto.
- Speed governor no longer used.
I. D. DATA
1909 Cadillac Thirty
- Serial numbers were located on a plate on the rear of the body or on the
dash (with the engine number)
- Engine numbers were stamped on top surface
of crankcase -- in front of and to the left of the number one (front)
- Range: 32002 - 37904.
1909 Cadillac Notes
- Introduced December 1908.
- Model year sales and production: 5903.
- Henry M. Leland was president and general manager
- Frank Johnson was chief engineer
- On July 29, 1909, Cadillac Motor Car Co. became a wholly owned subsidiary of
General Motors Co., and Henry Leland became president and general manager of
Cadillac Motor Car Co.